Monday, May 20, 2013

Review of Chapter 1

All reviews come from the book: I. Richardson, J.S., Morgan, R.F., & Fleener, C. 2012. Reading to learn in the content areas. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Publishing Co.


First, I have benefited from reading this first chapter by coming to a more solid foundation concerning the term “literacy.” It is often thrown around in the circle of professionals I come in contact with daily; however, I have found that the term means different things to different people. Here, I have read that literacy encompasses vocabulary, comprehension, and study skills. It has a strong focus on becoming critical thinkers and essentially “learning how to learn.”

Something that caught my interest was the PDK poll taken in 2009 which found that most people cited feel as if schools are becoming less effective. However, Berliner, a psychologist, feels as if schools in the United States are far better off than they once were and that the problems existing in the schools today are a result of poverty, dysfunctional families, and poor health care (p. 4). One area of critique here is for the author to include Berliner’s reasoning as to how these three problems affect student learning. As an educator in an urban school district, I can see both sides of this thought. During my first year of teaching, I was struck by the teachers who clearly did not want to be in the teaching environment. On the other hand, I was encouraged by those who had been pushing hard to children for over 20 years. I have also felt the frustration of feeling all alone, solely responsible for a student’s learning because of the dysfunction in a family unit. I have come to understand that despite a student’s home-life or situation, I need to do all I can for the 8 hours that they are in my care.

I have been encouraged by the strategies listed in the “12 Principles for Effective Content Teachers” and I feel as if these will be beneficial for me to apply in my classroom. One principal that will affect me and my classroom teaching, one that I have not given much thought to, much to my shame, is principle #4: “Most language users are equipped with more than one version of their language.” While I only teach first grade and their language is still very moldable or pliable, I have expected them to come to the textbook reading able to understand the flow and syntax of the sentences. I have failed to see that most of the sentences and story lines are more than likely not written in their “local discourse.” The way I can apply this to my classroom is to come to a more complete understanding of my students’ out-of-school language by learning their personal experiences and prior knowledge (Principle #1).

No comments:

Post a Comment